This photo set of the Tasmanian Government Railways 5 Ton Travelling Crane No. 2 was taken at the Tasmanian Transport Museum between October 2002 and May 2003 by Stuart Dix
Travelling Crane No.2 was build by Stothert & Pitt Ltd, of England, in about 1888. The crane was rated at 5 ton and described by the Tasmanian Government Railways as a "Permanent Way Crane". The crane was piped for vacuum brakes, and was fitted with a lever handbrake only. The crane is usually operated by two people winding and one braking. The crane was obtained by the Tasmanian Transport Museum in the early 1970s and since then has been used for a large variety of lifting tasks around the museum, where it still performs a useful function despite its age.